Punakha Festival Tour
Punakha Festival Tour is an annual festival introduced by zhabdrung Ngawang Namgyel to commemorate the victories over the Tibetans. During the festival, the “pazaps” or local militia men dress in battle gear and showcase a battle scene of this distant past recalling the days, when in the absence of a standing army, men from eight Tshogchen or great village blocks of Thimphu came forward and manage to expel the Tibetans forces out of Bhutan ushering in a new-found internal peace and stability.
Festival Date: 1st to 3rd March 2023
- Trip Duration: 4 Nights and 5 Days
- Trip Guide: Licensed Tour Guide
- Festival Tour Cost: US$ 1620 per person.
- Meals: All Inclusive
- Transport: Private
- Route: 1Night Thimphu, 1 Night Punakha, and 2 Nights at Paro.
- Enjoy the Religious Dance of Guru in different forms.
- Get the Photoshoot at the Festival.
- Converse with locals.
- Get the opportunity to mingle with tribal people of Laya.
- Day 01: Arrival at Paro International Airport and drive to Thimphu.
- Day 02: Thimphu to Punakha to witness Punakha Drupchen.
- Day 03: Punakha to Paro
- Day 04: Paro Tiger Nest Hike
- Day 05: Paro to onward Journey
Detail Festival Tour Itinerary
Day 01 Arrival at Paro Airport
Arrival at Paro Airport. Our team from Tour Bhutan will receive you with a white scarf as it is customary to receive the guest with khaddar. Our guide will brief you about the program while assisting you with your luggage. Drive to Thimphu and the tour begins with a visit to Memorial Chorten, Folk Heritage Museum, and Takin preservation center. Overnight at Hotel.
Day 02 Thimphu to Punakha
Enjoy the beautiful mountain road drive towards temperate Punakha valley. We start early to see the festival. Festival usually begins with mask dance performed by monk body and locals gathering to witness the dance as they believe in getting merits. An interesting fact about the Punakha festival is tribal people from Laya and Lunana. They attend this festival every year before they migrate back to the mountains with their Yaks.
Day 03 Punakha to Paro
Today we visit the longest suspension bridge in the morning and drive to Paro in the afternoon. Morning time is best to visit the bridge that connects villages with Punakha dzong the administrative centre for Punakha. Drive to Paro, which takes about 3.5 hours to paro. Visit Drugyel Dzong in Paro recently completed its construction after fire distroyed in 1957.
Day 04 Paro Tiger Nest Temple Hike
Hike the iconic Tiger Nest temple and enjoy the moment. Your tour of Bhutan is not complete without taking selfies at Tiger Nest Temple. No good thing comes easy and to get to tiger nest temple is a herculean task as it involves 3 hours of uphill trek covering 12 Km. The temple clings on a solid rock 900m above Paro valley. After the visit if time permit visit Paro dzong followed by cantilever bridge of Paro Chu. Over night at Hotel.
Day 05 Drive to the Airport and see off
Your short Bhutan tour to attend Punakha Festival ends here. We drop you at the airport and see you off.
What is Included in the Cost?
- All meals during the Festival tour.
- Transportation within the Country.
- Airport Pick and drop.
- Professional English speaking Guide.
- All entrance fees for temples and Dzongs.
What is Not Included in the Cost?
- Insurance Premiums.
- Flight Cost for both International and Domestic.
- The cost incurred during political reasons or mishaps.